Established in 1984, Frinton & Walton Heritage Trust exists to consolidate historical knowledge of the local area and provide public access to the archives, artefacts and exhibits that tell the story of our community’s past.
The Old Lifeboat House, Grade II, was built in 1884 at the end of East Terrace to house Walton’s first RNLI lifeboat, Honourable Artillery Company.
Since 1984, it has been Walton’s Maritime Museum under the management of Frinton & Walton Heritage Trust.
Displays include: information on Walton’s past lifeboats and the men who sailed them; artefacts recording Walton’s colourful history as a seaside town and fossils representing the immense geological significance of this coast as a Special Site of Scientific Interest (SSSI).
Walton Maritime Museum regularly holds special exhibitions. The current exhibition is ‘By the Seaside’, highlights a wide variety of activities - from traditional beach-based entertainments and pier variety shows to sports, drama societies and music concerts that were part of Walton and Frinton’s summer seasons from the 1880s to the 1940s and which were popular with residents and holidaymakers alike.
Information on our current exhibitions is posted in our Events Diary .
2pm to 4pm Easter Bank Holiday weekend, both May Bank Holiday weekends, and daily (2pm to 4pm) from 1st June to 30th September.
[We do rely on voluntary stewards]
During winter months please see our EVENTS PAGE
Accompanied Children (under 10 years old) free,
Trust members free (on production of membership card)
School and group visits can be arranged any time from Easter to end of October outside normal opening hours by telephoning us on 01255 861440.